The food safety department – Dubai municipality regulates the registration process under the food control department, Food Import Re-export Service (FIRS).
This inspection system is laid out to achieve high standards in quality of food and its related products which are imported and re-exported. For this purpose, FIRS provides all necessary information regarding, importing foods, supplying all types of health certificates, importing goods for re-exporting, label approval, food destruction application and issuing certificates.
Food Items Registration and Label Assessment in the FIRS, the food products and their information are linked with their respective bar codes. This electronic system aids approval of food product registration, its inspection and also importing.
The food sampling system is an innovative system, where the food products are examined and their results are submitted to the Dubai Municipality Food and Environment Laboratory’s electronic system which is integrated with this system.
Following are the Food Products registration rules in Dubai
- One cannot register food products with banned ingredients – poppy seeds and also alcohol.
- Only food products are registered through FIRS, food supplements and inedible products like cigarettes are not registered under the process.
- Ingredients present in the food product must be displayed either in Arabic or English.
- Food additives like fast yellow A B, yellow 2 G, Amaranth, patent blue V, and also the potassium bromate are banned in the UAE.
- If the food product is already registered with another name or account then the FIRS rejects such applications
Label Approval for food product registration in Dubai: food label shall contain the following:
- Brand Name is a requirement
- Product Name (a summarized description of the food product).
- The food ingredients (arranged in a descending order according to the weight or volume).
- Production & expiration dates of all products (except those which are exempted from displaying the validity or expiration dates).
- Name of the food manufacturer, packer, distributor or importer.
- Net weight or volume.
- Country of Origin should be declared clearly and should be specific for example EU is not a country of origin. (The exact country should be specified)
- Product’s barcode.
- Lot number
- The language of the label shall be in Arabic.
- Storage conditions (if the validity of the product depends on such conditions).
- Mentioning the ingredients which may cause hypersensitivity
- Instructions for using the product (if needed)
- Displaying the nutritional information is optional
Food product/s can be registered by visiting the official website of Dubai Municipality at, https://www.dm.gov.ae/en/pages/default.aspx
Find out how much it cost you to setup your Dream Business
Other Recent Blogs
The accessibility of the internet facility and the usage of smartphones have helped growth in the eCommerce industry. Shopping every basic necessity online is a trend these days. Many individuals are moving from traditional shopping to online shopping. Starting an...
Dubai is one of the major business locations for businessmen and entrepreneurs. UAE is considered to be one of the most popular trading ports around the world. Starting a general trading business in Dubai is going to be beneficial for entrepreneurs. However, there are...
Dubai is one of the most attractive markets in the region for retailers with growth opportunities in the UAE. Setting up a retail shop in Dubai can be very advantageous and growth-oriented for entrepreneurs and business people. To start a retail shop in Dubai, there...
The foodstuff trading business is growing drastically in Dubai. If you are planning to start this business in Dubai then you have made the right decision, due to its immense potential as most of the food supplies in the UAE are exported imported, packed and...
To set up an industrial company in Dubai it requires various documentation procedures to be followed and is a tedious process. Industrial licenses are issued to the organizations that convert natural resources to finished goods. If you are planning to start an...
Dubai holds the first position in the business professional list. Due to its tax-free norms and ease of doing business, it attracts international investors dealing in any business industry. To start a business in Dubai is one of the perfect options for entrepreneurs...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We’ll keep you updated on the latest trends and news
Request a call back
Would you like to speak to one of our business advisers over the phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.