The food safety department – Dubai municipality regulates the registration process under the food control department, Food Import Re-export Service (FIRS).
This inspection system is laid out to achieve high standards in quality of food and its related products which are imported and re-exported. For this purpose, FIRS provides all necessary information regarding, importing foods, supplying all types of health certificates, importing goods for re-exporting, label approval, food destruction application and issuing certificates.
Food Items Registration and Label Assessment in the FIRS, the food products and their information are linked with their respective bar codes. This electronic system aids approval of food product registration, its inspection and also importing.
The food sampling system is an innovative system, where the food products are examined and their results are submitted to the Dubai Municipality Food and Environment Laboratory’s electronic system which is integrated with this system.
Following are the Food Products registration rules in Dubai
- One cannot register food products with banned ingredients – poppy seeds and also alcohol.
- Only food products are registered through FIRS, food supplements and inedible products like cigarettes are not registered under the process.
- Ingredients present in the food product must be displayed either in Arabic or English.
- Food additives like fast yellow A B, yellow 2 G, Amaranth, patent blue V, and also the potassium bromate are banned in the UAE.
- If the food product is already registered with another name or account then the FIRS rejects such applications
Label Approval for food product registration in Dubai: food label shall contain the following:
- Brand Name is a requirement
- Product Name (a summarized description of the food product).
- The food ingredients (arranged in a descending order according to the weight or volume).
- Production & expiration dates of all products (except those which are exempted from displaying the validity or expiration dates).
- Name of the food manufacturer, packer, distributor or importer.
- Net weight or volume.
- Country of Origin should be declared clearly and should be specific for example EU is not a country of origin. (The exact country should be specified)
- Product’s barcode.
- Lot number
- The language of the label shall be in Arabic.
- Storage conditions (if the validity of the product depends on such conditions).
- Mentioning the ingredients which may cause hypersensitivity
- Instructions for using the product (if needed)
- Displaying the nutritional information is optional
Food product/s can be registered by visiting the official website of Dubai Municipality at, https://www.dm.gov.ae/en/pages/default.aspx
Find out how much it cost you to setup your Dream Business
Other Recent Blogs
Dubai is known as a city of opportunities and is the commercial hub of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), transforming itself from an oil-dependent to one of the leading and economic innovation hubs in the world. Due to its flexible business setup governemnt policies and...
The gold industry in Dubai has been thriving since the 1940s due to its free trade policies which have encouraged traders from all over the world. Gold trading is one of the leading imports in Dubai. If you are an entrepreneur who is willing to start a gold trading...
Dubai is amongst the world’s famous destinations for business which is preferred by entrepreneurs. Due to its world-class infrastructure, global strategic location, attractive taxation benefits it is one of the best places for doing business in Dubai. There are many...
Dubai is a prominent business destination for global investors and business professionals. From manufacturing to selling, Dubai is one of the most profitable countries. The textile industry is booming and growing rapidly along with massive employee opportunities. If...
A trademark is a symbol, word, or logo that is registered legally through their use represents a brand or an enterprise. Trademark registration protects the logo and the brand name of your company. Trademarks are intellectual property rights governed and protected by...
There is a massive increase in businesses in the UAE. With the ever-changing rules and regulations, there is a huge demand for a law firm in Dubai. Due to its liberal business environment, taxation benefits, and world-class infrastructure, Dubai is considered a...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We’ll keep you updated on the latest trends and news
Request a call back
Would you like to speak to one of our business advisers over the phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.