The food safety department – Dubai municipality regulates the registration process under the food control department, Food Import Re-export Service (FIRS).
This inspection system is laid out to achieve high standards in quality of food and its related products which are imported and re-exported. For this purpose, FIRS provides all necessary information regarding, importing foods, supplying all types of health certificates, importing goods for re-exporting, label approval, food destruction application and issuing certificates.
Food Items Registration and Label Assessment in the FIRS, the food products and their information are linked with their respective bar codes. This electronic system aids approval of food product registration, its inspection and also importing.
The food sampling system is an innovative system, where the food products are examined and their results are submitted to the Dubai Municipality Food and Environment Laboratory’s electronic system which is integrated with this system.
Following are the Food Products registration rules in Dubai
- One cannot register food products with banned ingredients – poppy seeds and also alcohol.
- Only food products are registered through FIRS, food supplements and inedible products like cigarettes are not registered under the process.
- Ingredients present in the food product must be displayed either in Arabic or English.
- Food additives like fast yellow A B, yellow 2 G, Amaranth, patent blue V, and also the potassium bromate are banned in the UAE.
- If the food product is already registered with another name or account then the FIRS rejects such applications
Label Approval for food product registration in Dubai: food label shall contain the following:
- Brand Name is a requirement
- Product Name (a summarized description of the food product).
- The food ingredients (arranged in a descending order according to the weight or volume).
- Production & expiration dates of all products (except those which are exempted from displaying the validity or expiration dates).
- Name of the food manufacturer, packer, distributor or importer.
- Net weight or volume.
- Country of Origin should be declared clearly and should be specific for example EU is not a country of origin. (The exact country should be specified)
- Product’s barcode.
- Lot number
- The language of the label shall be in Arabic.
- Storage conditions (if the validity of the product depends on such conditions).
- Mentioning the ingredients which may cause hypersensitivity
- Instructions for using the product (if needed)
- Displaying the nutritional information is optional
Food product/s can be registered by visiting the official website of Dubai Municipality at, https://www.dm.gov.ae/en/pages/default.aspx
Find out how much it cost you to setup your Dream Business
Other Recent Blogs
One of the main advantages of doing business in the United Arab Emirates is the preferential tax treatment that businesses get. The UAE has a 0% corporate income tax for individuals and legal entities, which is ideal for anyone wanting to own their own business. But,...
If you’re looking for a place to set up a business, the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC) is the place to be! The location is growing at such a rapid pace. There are over 15,000 registered businesses in the area, making it the largest free trade zone in the UAE....
The United Arab Emirates is in the spotlight for its booming economy, easy company establishment, and expansion. But when it comes to forming a company, if you don’t have stable funds, you won’t survive long. That’s where an investor comes into play. An investor is...
Dubai is known around the world for its thriving economy and business-friendly environment. And with benefits like a great infrastructure, strategic location, and tax breaks, it’s no wonder entrepreneurs’ dream of doing...
The process of establishing a business can be quite tedious with the infinite legal documents and never-ending queues but, with the introduction of instant trade license, business owners can apply and attain a trade license within a span of 24 hours. Trade license is...
As a trader, your license remains the original document that verifies your business as an official legal entity to function. Hence, it is very imperative to ensure that your license is always updated to avoid any hefty fees which will be levied if your license has...
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We’ll keep you updated on the latest trends and news