What is a Copyright?
Copyrights are the legal registration of a particular creation, object, or intellectual property, protecting against unauthorized reproduction or theft. In most cases, copyright covers works such as:
- 1. Articles, books, pamphlets, or any other written material.
- 2. Computer code, applications, databases, or programs.
- 3. Lectures, speeches, sermons, and other performative works.
- 4. Theatrical works, including musical numbers and music compositions
- 5. Visual, audio, or audiovisual works.
- 6. Architectural designs, engineering plans, and drawings.
- 7. Sculptures, engravings, lithography, and other fine arts.
- 8. Photographic works.
- 9. Plastic arts.
- 10. Illustrations, sketches, 3D models, maps, and more.
What Are the Rights Covered Under Copyright?
Currently, there are two types of rights covered under copyright law. These are:
- • Economic Rights : Economic rights allow rights owners to derive financial compensation from the use of their works.
- • Moral Rights : Moral rights cover non-monetary assets for rights holders.
Most copyright laws dictate that the original author maintains the sole right to authorize or prevent using their works for monetary rewards. This includes:
- • The reproduction of a sound recording or printed publication
- • Use for public performance
- • Recording musical works
- • Translating materials into other languages
- • Adapting, changing, or altering a project.
- • The right to choose when and where a work is published.
- • The right to withdraw the work from circulation if necessary.
What Cannot Be Copyrighted?
Copyright protections do not apply to:
Several concepts and materials do not fall under copyright laws. These include:
- • Procedures, ideas, mathematical ideas, or abstract principles.
- • Official documentation from law texts, court decisions, awards, and judicial decisions.
- • News reports or articles
Why Copyright Protection in Dubai is So Important
Copyright registration is crucial for protecting the original works of authors. Musicians, artists, and creatives rely on these works for their careers. In the digital age, protecting assets and original concepts is an ever-increasing need.
Not only does copyright protection grant authors and creators defense for their materials, but it also gives them free rein to authorize the use of it by third parties.
Due to the importance and complexity of copyright law, many investors choose to work with knowledgeable third-party business consultants to help them navigate the ins and outs of copyright protections. MSZ Consultancy has years of experience assisting investors and entrepreneurs to protect their valuable works.
The Duration of Copyright Protection in Dubai
UAE copyright laws clearly state the rules regarding the duration and validity of any copyright protection. Copyright protections are valid throughout the creator’s life, with an added 50 years after the original creator has passed.
In scenarios of works with multiple authors, copyright protection terms are valid throughout the lives of all involved creators, with the 50-year addendum added after the last creator has passed away.
The Documents Required for the Registration of Copyright
To register a work for copyright, you must submit the appropriate documentation. This includes:
- • Sample of involved work
- • Copyright registration form
- • Passport Copy for the author or authors
- • Ownership details
- • No Objection Clause (NOC) from the author to the owner (if applicable)
- • Copy of trade license for company copyright ownership
- • Authorization Letter
- • Confirmation of fees
- • Contact information for the applicant
What is Copyright Infringement?
Copyright infringement occurs when an individual or company exploits the copyrighted work of an author or owner without their consent. This violates copyright protection law surrounding an original work’s replication, circulation, exhibition, or derivation.
The penalties for infringing on copyright laws in the UAE include significant penalties ranging from AED 10,000 to AED 200,000, or even jail time.
How MSZ Consultancy Can Help with Copyright Protection
If you’re interested in learning more about how to protect your work, you’ve come to the right place! MSZ Consultancy has years of experience assisting entrepreneurs in company creation, asset protection, PRO services, and much more. Our expert consultants can help you navigate the ins and outs of conducting business in a foreign nation.
From single investors to established companies, we have assisted over 32,000 customers in maximizing their business potential while minimizing the red tape. Are you interested in business registration and licensing? We can help! Do you need assistance with visa registration? We handle that, too!
There has never been a better time to dive into the UAE business market! Are you ready to make the leap? Give us a call today at +971 52 544 1248 for a free consultation!
- 1. What We Do? – MSZ Consultancy are experts at helping investors, businesses, and entrepreneurs maximize their potential when conducting business in the UAE. These consultants handle many smaller tasks, allowing you to focus on more significant aspects of your investments. Such duties include managing important renewals, interfacing with government authorities, and staying up-to-date on crucial regulations.
- 2. How We Can Help? – For foreign investors, ex-pats, and company owners looking to put their best business foot forward, MSZ Consultancy has the skill and expertise to help. We’re highly knowledgeable in handling business licensing applications, visa renewals, copyright protections, and much more. So why sweat the small stuff when we can handle it for you?
- 3. Who Choose Us? – You’ll want to choose copyright registration consultants with years of hands-on experience handling business throughout the Emirates. From licensing of Free Zone-based businesses to company formation in Dubai, we handle it all.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’re bound to have a few questions when learning about copyright protection. And to make sense of it all, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the subject. So take a look below and see if a question you have is covered!
- When is copyright protection not applicable?
Copyright protection is not applicable for official documents, news reports, mathematical designs, law texts, or principles and ideas.
- What company types can benefit from UAE copyright law?
There are several types of companies that benefit from copyright protection, including
- • Media companies
- • Software Developers
- • Singing Academies
- • Production Companies
- What is the cost of copyright registration fee?
In recent years, the fee for copyright registration has dropped to roughly AED 5,000.
- Is there a difference between copyright, trademarks, and patents?
Yes! Trademarks secure assets that are used for brand recognition for a person or company. It can incorporate words, expressions, images, logos, and brand names. However, copyright laws do not cover these.
- When can I use the copyright symbol?
Since copyright registration protects a work from when it is created, you are entitled to use the copyright symbol as necessary. However, not displaying the copyright symbol does not remove your protection.